Adds BIM workflows
MATULJI, Croatia, Feb 8, 2017 – StudioARS, a provider of pipe infrastructure design, calculation and analysis software for AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D, announced the addition of new BIM workflows for the upcoming release of its Urbano 9.1 software. The release scheduled for Q2 2017, introduces a lot of improvements and a special focus on workflow integration with Autodesk Navisworks, a key component of BIM workflows using Autodesk technology.
Urbano and Data Exchange
Urbano is a BIM ready software solution for infrastructure pipe network design, calculation and analysis based on AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D. Engineers, drafters and technicians designing storm and sanitary sewage, water and gas distribution systems and other pipe infrastructure can use an array of customizable functions to empower and optimize their design process.
A broad set of import/export functions supporting more than 10 data exchange formats offer true BIM for Infrastructure workflow integration. Most notably, these include AutoCAD Civil 3D, Autodesk InfraWorks 360, Autodesk Navisworks, ESRI ArcGIS and EPANET.
In addition to standard design data, Urbano can manage any kind of custom data with the concept of User Data – add, import or export data associated with pipes and structures. User data is accessible like any other project data and can be used as part of any configuration for profiles, labels, data grids etc.
Urbano and BIM
BIM is spreading to all engineering design software and the need to comply with BIM standards and workflows grows constantly. Thanks to the programs architecture, Urbano satisfies critical BIM requirements and fits into many different BIM workflows:
- 2D & 3D: Urbano supports both design approaches, and it is up to the designer to choose the best tool for the task at hand. 2D plans, profiles and sections remain crucial parts of the design process and a requirement for documentation. At the same time 3D offers superior insight in specific cases like clash detection.
- Data: Urbano supports both design data and additional data (i.e. custom data determined by the user). Both data types share the same usage options e.g. selection, input, editing, storing, and availability throughout the program’s functions e.g. profiles, labels, reports.
- Communication: The design of infrastructure pipe networks is linked to other activities like surveying, GIS and hydraulic modeling, so the need to exchange data with other software is clear. Urbano supports bidirectional data exchange with a number of software and file formats, e.g. ESRI .shp, Oracle and MS SQL databases, AutoCAD Civil 3D. It also supports export to .ifc and EPANET .inp, and import from EPANET .rpt.
New Development for Autodesk Navisworks
The upcoming release of Urbano 9.1 includes the option to export any part of the pipe network (i.e. selected pipes and structures) with accompanying additional data (e.g. pipe diameter, structure type, construction phase) to the Autodesk Navisworks native .nwc file format. This allows for a seamless BIM workflow, where any editing changes in Urbano plan and profiles need only to be re-exported and then refreshed in Navisworks. The changes appear instantly, providing a data-rich 3D model ready for inspection, clash analysis and 4D construction simulation.
The new features are shown in these videos:
The video shows the new Urbano 9.1 functions for creating top and bottom trench borders, and a full 3D trench. Construction phases can be determined with user data and they will serve for the automatic creation of Navisworks selection sets. All this data will be written to a .nwc file. Navisworks integrates the data-rich 3D model from Urbano with the construction planning made with Microsoft Project, allowing the performance of a 4D construction simulation.
This video shows the new functions for managing pipe clashes with Urbano and Navisworks. A pipe network is exported to a .nwc file and imported in Navisworks. The clash test was performed with Navisworks, a clash test report generated and used with Urbano to solve the clashes, and the whole pipe network was re-exported from Urbano and refreshed in Navisworks. In the end, a new Urbano add-in for Navisworks was used to generate a report with pipes sorted according to pipe diameters and the Navisworks quantification tools were used.
Urbano Document Linker is a new add-in for Autodesk Navisworks that enables you to link multiple external files such as .pdf documents and .jpg pictures, to your Autodesk Navisworks model. External documents add specific technical information and real world insight not available in the 3D model.The add-in will work with a 3D model from all sources compatible with Navisworks e.g. Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Urbano etc.
The video show three different linking examples:
- Linking the same document with a large number of different elements
- Linking a large number of documents of various file types with a large number of different elements
- Linking a large number of documents of various file types with a large number of equal elements
For the last 20 years, StudioARS has been developing Urbano software for the design, calculation and analysis of storm & sanitary sewage, water and gas pipe networks. With the support of our authorized partners we deploy and implement Urbano in more than 10 language versions worldwide.
Urbano 9.1 will run on AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010-2017 and will be available in Q2 2017.
For more information, visit www.studioars.com.