WASHINGTON, DC, Apr 17, 2018 – The American Institute of Architects’ (AIA) Committee on Architecture for Education (CAE) is recognizing ten projects with its Education Facility Design Awards for state-of-the-art designs of schools and learning centers.
This year’s jury selected eight facilities for its Awards of Excellence and two projects for its Awards of Merit.
In order to be eligible for the Awards of Excellence, the architect must demonstrate exemplary practice and the design must meet a host of criteria, including enhancing learning in classrooms; balancing function with aesthetics; establishing a connection with the environment; being respectful of the surrounding community; demonstrating high-level planning in the design process; and integrating sustainability in a holistic fashion. Awards of Excellence were bestowed upon the following:
- Chatham University Eden Hall Campus; Richland Township, Pennsylvania | Mithun
- Haverford College Visual Culture, Arts, and Media Building; Haverford, Pennsylvania | MSR Design
- Kawartha Trades and Technology Centre (KTTC); Peterborough, Ontario, Canada | Perkins+Will Canada Inc.
- Memphis Teacher Residency (MTR); Memphis, Tennessee | archimania
- Pagliuca Harvard Life Lab; Allston, Massachusetts | Shepley Bulfinch
- The Frick Environmental Center; Pittsburgh | Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Tsinghua Ocean Center; Shenzhen, China | Open Architecture
- University of Iowa Voxman Music Building; Iowa City | LMN Architects
Projects selected for the Awards of Merit are recognized for being of superior quality. This year’s recipients include:
The CAE honored each of the recipients at its Building Community Through Education Conference in Baltimore on Friday, April 13.
View complete details for each awarded project here.
About The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Founded in 1857, AIA consistently works to create more valuable, healthy, secure, and sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, and communities. Through more than 200 international, state, and local chapters, AIA advocates for public policies that promote economic vitality and public wellbeing. Members adhere to a code of ethics and conduct to ensure the highest professional standards. AIA provides members with tools and resources to assist them in their careers and business. In addition, the Institute engages civic and government leaders and the public to find solutions to pressing issues facing our communities, institutions, nation, and world.
For more information, visit www.aia.org.